Monday, June 2, 2014

Playing With Fire


It may not look like much, but that cane-like object is my garden blowtorch.  Sam bought it for me for my birthday.  Almost 6 months later, I'm finally starting to use it.

It's not something I can use in my flower and vegetable beds--there's too many plants in too small a space.  But it's perfect for my big rock garden where I have a few plants I want with lots of space in between.  Weeding that area by hand last year took forever, and killed my back.  The blowtorch is time consuming too, but I can stand up to use it.  The area in the following pictures took me about half an hour to do.

 Wide shot of the whole area, before torching.
 Close-up of a cluster of dandelions, before torching.
 Wide shot, immediately after torching.
 Dandelions, immediately after torching.
 Wide shot, 3 days later.  You can clearly see the places I missed.
Dandelions, 3 days later.

Safety notes.  I keep the hose turned on the whole time I'm working with the blowtorch.  As soon as I'm done with an area, I hose the whole thing down, even if there are no signs of smoke/embers.  If I'm working close to the foundation of the house, I have the blowtorch in one hand and the hose in the other!  

Overall, I'm quite happy with my torch.  I've thoroughly done about a third of the rock garden, and also have 2-3 other places I want to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment